Historic Sites & Tours
PARIS HILL, MAINE
Paris Hill was originally the center of Paris. Pass through the traffic circle in South Paris (Market Square), follow Route 26 north and take first right after passing South Paris Post Office, cross bridge and at the next fork bear right to Paris Hill Village. The building where the Review was first published in 1850 is on the left or west side of the road and is now a dwelling. It can best be identified by pictures, but is now painted white, two stories high, has an ell with our windows and a door facing the road. The main part of the building has six windows and a door which resembles the door of a shop. Also on Paris Hill is the old stone jail, now a museum and library open to the public. The museum contains an old Indian map drawn on a large piece of birch bark. This map compares well with modern topographic maps and shows the skill of the Maine Indians of early days.
North of the jail a few yards, is the restored birthplace of Hannibal Hamlin, vice president under Abraham Lincoln. There is a fine view of the valleys intervening between here and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Paris Hill is full of old houses and there is much of interest to the student of history. Somewhere on Paris Hill the Whites lived, but the oldest Adventists of the area cannot recall the exact house. J.N. Andrews was born in Poland, but moved to Paris where he spent his youth. In Paris the Adventists left their crops in the field, expecting the Lord would come and they would not need them. This fact is recorded in the old History of Paris.
Ellen Gould Harmon was born in Gorham on November 26, 1827 in a house (where the white one is now) across the street from the marker indicating the general area along the side of the road. She was a twin. The house itself burned down in 1971. The site is two and a half miles north of Gorham Village on Route 114, just beyond the stone marker for Fort Gorham on Fort Hill.
Just before going up this hill, on the left-hand side, is a cemetery where Robert Harmon is buried. About a mile beyond the marker is a Methodist church on the left and a cemetery on the right where twin sister Elizabeth (Sawyer) is buried. The Whites moved from Gorham when Ellen was about nine years old.
BRUNSWICK, MAINEThe Deep Cut - On the way from Portland to Brunswick, on U.S. Route 1, there is a railroad cut through the rocks with a bridge crossing the tracks (known as the deep cut). The bridge has recently been replaced. It was here that James White hauled stone with oxen, at small wages, to support his family.
George Cobb, a convert of James White, known as the man who died twice, lies buried in the Varney Cemetery, (enter through gate 5) in Brunswick. His gravestone has attracted much notice, because of the unusual working on the stone. (It now has a piece of grey marble laminated on the back of the marker.) At the top is the Fourth Commandment. Underneath appears the date of his birth, the date of his death (meaning his conversion), the date when he fell asleep, and the nineteenth Psalm.
Parkview Adventist Medical Center - It’s mission has been to see the individual patient as a vibrant part of the community: body, mind and spirit. The 55-bed, acute care hospital has grown since its doors first opened in 1959. Adventist health care has a rich tradition at Parkview; currently a third of our medical staff attended the worldrenowned Loma Linda Medical School, itself a part of the Adventist health system.
Topsham is across the river from Brunswick. The house at 7 Elm Avenue was the home of Stockbridge Howland. The Whites lived here for a time and Ellen had several visions of importance. Here Frances Howland, daughter of Wardworth Howland was miraculously healed in answer to prayer. Lizzie Hayden, a devout Adventist woman, who later went to Boston to see J.N. Andrews embark for Europe, made up part of the group at “Fort Howland,” as the house was called. James White used to skate on the river to the Post Office to get his mail in the winter.
Pine Tree Academy - is a pre-kindergarten through grade twelve Christian school. Originally founded in 1921 in Auburn, Maine it relocated to Freeport in 1961. Grades 9-12 became fully operational in 1974.
Haines House - on the corner of C Street and Ocean Avenue, South Portland. Studies of City records show this was not the original house but in the area where Ellen Harmon had her first vision in December of 1844. This occurred in a room on the second floor facing C street.
White Memorial Church - Located at 97 Allen Avenue, is the present James White
Seventh- day Adventist Church.
Local Points of Interest - There are many places of interest to the visitor in and around Portland, other than the denominational spots. Eastern Promenade on Munjoy Hill, provides a panoramic view of Portland Harbor and Casco Bay. In the Bay is a round building called Fort Gorges which helped protect Portland during World Ward II. Also at this location is the iron structure from the U.S.S. Portland which was sunk in Pearl Harbor during World War II. If time permits a cruise on a Casco Bay Lines boat would be an interesting way to spend a day. The starting point is the Casco Bay Lines wharf on Commercial Street, on the waterfront. There are other points of interest in the city: Longfellow’s Home, museums, galleries, concerts in City Hall, which contains one of the finest pipe organs in America. You will also want to see Portland Headlight at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth. This Fort also helped protect Portland during World War II. The light house was commanded to be built by George Washington in 1798.